Alaska Airlines- 30-40 hrs/week
About Alaska Airlines:
Alaska Airlines is one of the most respected names in aviation and flies throughout its namesake state and the Lower 48, as well as to Hawaii, Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica and Cuba. Our roots date to 1932 and are symbolized by the Alaska Native painted on the tails of our aircraft. Guided by what we call the "Alaska Spirit", we pride ourselves on providing a lifeline to remote communities while delivering renowned service to everyone we fly. This commitment has brought us national and international recognition. We've been honored with a variety of awards by readers of Travel + Leisure, Conde Nast Traveler, USA Today and others. Alaska, with Virgin America, is the premier airline for people on the West Coast, and together with its sister carrier Horizon Air, flies to more than 118 destinations. The two airlines are subsidiaries of Alaska Air Group Inc. (NYSE:ALK) with annual revenues exceeding $7 billion.
We are looking for Interns who are responsible, driven and team-players. Other critical skills include the ability to check their work and pay attention to detail. Interns should be comfortable withcomputer work.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Schedule: June 2017 to August 2017. Monday-Friday 40 hours/week
Pay: $12.00 per hour. No benefits are provided
Location: 19300 International Blvd., Seattle, WA 98188
Monthly trainings at the Joel E. Smilow Clubhouse
The Alaska Airlines High School Internship Program is designed to give high school students the opportunity to develop the skills, experiences, and networks that are critical to any professional career while gaining a good understanding of what it’s like to work for an airline. In this job, you will perform a variety of projects that support the operation. Current openings for summer 2017 include
(Please specify which opportunity interests you):
Flight Operations Intern:2 openings
- Summary of Project: Visual software database modelling
- Required Skills: Strong interest in gaming, programming and graphic design. Proficient in Photo shop, AutoCAD, office
Baggage Performance Intern: 4 openings
- Summary of Project: at Central Baggage Services we are responsible for reuniting Alaska Airlines customers with their mishandled bags and lost items left on our aircraft. We have a large warehouse located by the airport where all lost bags and missing items are sent to. It would be the intern’s responsibility to help process missing left on board items, search for owners, contact passengers to mail or fed- ex items back to our customers or set it up for pick up at our location. The intern would also be responsible for processing daily mail, filing, warehouse organization and cleaning.
- Required Skills: the intern must be organized and have the ability to work on several projects at a time in a fast paced environment. They must be friendly as they will be speaking on the phone or will be customer facing. They should have keyboarding skills with basic computer knowledge. They should be able to lift and move heavy objects and be willing to help clean on organize on a daily basis.
iServer Intern: 1 opening
- Summary of Project: Our team supports computer programs that integrate systems at Alaska through sharing of information in real time. These integration programs are documented in Microsoft Visio. The project consists in migrating these diagrams into a new format that will allow our team to search contents from the diagrams through an application called iServer. This is a good opportunity to know the insights of computer systems at a major company.
- Required Skills: Experience in modeling of computer systems is required (logical diagram, physical diagram, etc). Experience in Microsoft Office (Word & Excel mostly) and Microsoft Visio. Good communication skills and ability to ask questions to developers to complete diagrams that may be missing components.